The number of children with potential fatal peanut allergies has doubled between 1997 to 2000.
150 children die from food induced anaphylaxis every year.
Most nut exposures are accidental.
Knowing what nut allergy is can save a life.
A peanut or nut allergy has the potential to be life threatening and every minute and second counts.
Symptoms of anaphylaxis: difficulty in breathing, swollen lip, drop of blood pressure (can lead to dizziness and nausea and flushed discolored skin), vomiting, diarrhea, severe abdominal cramps, a metallic taste in the mouth, itchy skin, urge to faint and/or lose consciousness.
How to use an Epipen/Allerject properly is the most important thing you can do so you know how to react in case of emergency.
Teaching others around you how to use an Epipen/Allerjet is very important.
The absence of nuts in food does not make a product nut free. For example, just because a cookie does not have a nut in it, does not make it nut safe. the entire bakery must be nut free to avoid all traces of nuts. It’s very important to read all labels – always.
Wear a t-shirt or a bracelet. It’s great to take your own baked goods to parties for your children so they are not disappointed and remain safe.
Inspire others to understand what it means to live with a nut allergy…it’s not as difficult as you might believe!